
So there I was with one skein and no idea what to make of it. As so manny knitters I had just grabbed it and didn’t want to let it go. After some cuddling with the yarn (yeah.. I know, but it’s not called a virus for nothing.. you end up doing things you normaly might not do) I decided to see what I can make with one skein... So I visited the one and only place to start such a pilgrimage.. Ravelry!?

There I saw the Noro Striped Scarf. A fantastic scarf that used the colour changed of the Noro to make this quirky funky scarf that just screames: COLOUR! I usually wear muted colours because I think they look good on my. I love a bit of bright, but a whole top in a screaming colour is just a bit much for me. I try but it’s hard. So a Noro Striped Scarf of my own would be a fantastic way to add a splash of colour without feeling like a Telly Tubby. In the end I decided to knit a punk-scarf. So the Noro Striped version, but thin and long. A hip look for my nice (but boring) black coat.
So I set to work to start my sample to see how wide I should make it and ofcourse if I liked it. I loved it! But one skein would not do. I knitted it all up because I couldn’t stop... I wanted to see how the striped turned out, etc. Now I also knew how much ‘scarf’ one skein would knit into. I calculated that I needed about three skeins, but I ordered three (ending up with four) to be on the safe side. I ordered via Fabstract who sold me the skeins for £5.95 and didn’t charge for P&P.

So I ripped back my original 1/3 of the scarf and started again. Happily knitting away. There was one section that didn’t stripe. When knitting I thought this wouldn’t be bad as there might be other non-striping bits. I was wrong, it was the only one and it looked odd. So I fixed it. I didn’t rip back as it was about 1/4 into the scarf, so a lot of reknitting if I frogged. I used two dpns and stuck them through the rows above and below the plain section and cut the yarn, then ripped out the section between the needles. From the bottom one I re-knitted the frogged bit (taking care to make it stripe) then coming to the top needle I sewed the two ‘halves’ together by studying the way k1,p1 knitting looks from the website How Stuff Works. I had to redo it about 10 times due to errors. It’s really though and quite hard because the stitches dont stay put the same way as in the drawing. They hang around the needle from front to back as the needle sticks through them sideways. And on paper ofcouse all the stitches are neatly lined up side to side. But I managed and the result is fab, it looks just like a knitted row and even I can’t find it no more.

No comments:
Post a Comment