Monday, 31 March 2008

The Beauty of Handmade

In this world of Made in China handmade products are heaven send. I hope that financially I’ll soon be better off and able to afford some handmade myself. In the mean time let me show you this treasure and then tire you with some issues.


The most sophisticated cupcakes I've ever seen...


On Ravelry we find all things knitted. Great patterns and great gifts! One of the most inspirational and beautiful finds are products made by Julie of Little Cotton Rabbits. I first spotted her work when I did a tag search in Rav for cupcakes. These beautiful cupcakes appeared and where sooooo yummie I almost ate my monitor! :P I checked out the maker and found other items she made every better. Julie is the maker of the cutest toys ever seen (hence the name: Little Cotton Rabbits). She makes all sort of toys (not just rabbits) that seem alive with goodness and kindness. I tell you they are so cute you don’t care you’re not 6 years old no more. Some toys are ageless and these are like that. They have a good old fashion feel to them and yet are hip and happening. So if you fancy owning one or giving one, or you just want to check out Julie’s work, then visit her webshop and keep up to date with Julie’s Blog and don't forget to check out her free patterns!


Little Cotton cuties! The perfect gift!


So why buy handmade? Well I guess I could now start a whole talk about capitalism and consumerism or whatever –ism may be in right now, but it’s not that complicated. We live in a world where you can not escape mass produced products without making it your lifes purpose. So you can choose that route or simple not bother with any of it at all, but there is also the middle way. Where you can (and can afford) choose handmade. This also goes for organic and fair trade. If the whole western population where to choose handmade for every 1 item in a 100 they bought, it would change the world. You may not realise this as an individual, but you are part of a great mass of buyers. You are in a way like a star in the sky... one amonst billions. If we all choose to buy handmade once in every 100 buys the volume will be vast! So for the next birthday perhaps you will consider something hand made. And there are great gifts. Look on Etsy and you will have trouble choosing between all the great (extremely affordable) finds.

2 comments:

justclaire said...

I couldn't agree more. Handmade rocks! Aren't the cotton rabbits just adorable?! I've been a big fan of Julie's blog for a while now.
Thanks for your nice comments about my stitchmarkers too!

pruh said...

the cupcakes are so cute!