Friday, 20 June 2008

Protect and Perfect, review 2

In October 2007 I too became a victim of the No7 Protect & Perfect Serum hype. As you can read in my second blog post on the subject, Protect and Perfect, review 1, it did do a good job, an extremely good job considering the reactions. Now I've been using the whole line and I thought an update is in order. If you don't know what all the fuss is about read the other two post first (post 1, post 2)



The Serum
I'd like to start with the star product: The Serum. I give this product an 8.5 out of 10. As we all know it really works (as science has proven). It is a very nice product to use. When you apply it on your skin it makes it soooo smooth. I feel the difference straight away. I do wish it would work all day until crashing into bed at night, but this is not the case. If you have a dinner or go out for the night you might want to use it again. For this reason I substracted half a point. The only issue I have with this product is... sadly enough with the packaging. I've have bought the product three times now and it was packaged differently each time. First I got a tube with a flat top. This was great because by standing it on it's head the product was always ready to use. The second version had a pointy screw top and thus as I used more it was exactly like waiting for the ketchup to decide to come out of the bottle. They tried to sell me this second version again, but thank god they had a glass bottle with a pump. Quite posh the glass and it did work find, but I like the precise controle you get with the tube. You can decide exactly how much to squeeze out. So the first packaging was the best. For all this I substract another whole point. Sooooo if Boots go back to the first packaging they gain a whole point bringing the total score to 9.5... Boots get going!!



Day Cream
A very good overal product. I give this a 8 out of 10, but with a note that it's extremely good value. As far as day creams go this is a good deal. For less than 20 pounds you get quite a good day cream. Yes premium brands are 'only' about 10 pound more expensive, but this No7 P&P cream seems to last and last and last. I can't believe I'm still using a pot I bought months ago. The cream has a good thickness to it and you only need a little to cover face, neck and décolleté. It tends to lay on my skin (combo normal/greasy with sensitve area's too) for a while after applying it. This is not a problem for me as I apply my make-up later. But not convinent. So 1 minus point for this. The when it sinks into the skin it is very good however. The last point to be substacted is (again) because of the packaging. The glass jar is very nice, but the shape is all wrong. Pleasant for the eye, but annoying to use. I believe usablitly should come before looks if you use it every single day.



Night cream
Also a good overal product with a score of 9 out of 10. Almost the same points as the day cream. Only difference is that the night cream doesn't get a point substacted for laying on the skin a little longer. This is because this is a good thing for night creams. They need to be a little rich and be taken up slow. This so the skin can relax and recover from the day. The skins own abillity to recover is phenomonal and a good night cream will help it a great deal. The design of the jar is the only bad point, but if that gets sorted it get 10 of 10, not bad for a night cream costing less than 20 pounds.



Eye cream
Nice, but not spectacular: 7 out of 10. I think I have issues with eye creams... they never really deliver. I tried all sorts. So I can honestly say that this No7 P&P eyecream is half decent. The price, just over 15 pounds, ain't bad. The feel of the cream is good: light and airy. It gets half a point taken off because I like it go sink into the skin a little quicker. And it also gets half a point taken away because of the horrible colour. It's a murky beige. I have no idea why but twice a day I think it weird. That leaves another 2 points that have been taken away and it is AGAIN because of the packaging. And it's 2 points this time because.. well quite frankly the designer of this package should be shot (figuratively speaking ofcourse). They should not be working EVER in design again. Does it suck that much you wonder?!! YES it does. It's the same shape as the big jars, but because it's not big you can't get your finger in properly. So from the very start it's hard to reach the cream. I got fed up with this very quickly so now I use a little flat plastic nutella spread stick. It's one of those plastic sticks you use as a spoon with the individual packs of Nutella you can take away on picnicks etc. Now I ask you how silly is it that I need to use a Nutella stick to get to my eye cream??? Exactly -2 and be glad I didn't take away more points.

Conclusion
Overal I'm very happy with the products. It's very good value for money as the quality is pretty high. The thing that really lets the line down is it's packaging, which looks fine, but annoys every time you use a product. Because it's used twice a day this counts for quite a bit of agravation. Once they sort this out it is as close as you can get to a-brands like Clinique and Lancôme.

Links:
First Protect & Perfect Post
Protect and Perfect, review 1
Boots: No7 Protect & Perfect

No comments: