Wednesday, 9 May 2007

Renoir Landscapes



I and my-soon-to-be-ex-colleague-and-rapidly-becoming-a-very-good-friend Sarah went to see the Renoir Landscapes Exhibition at the National Gallery in London. It was a great succes. We got there and the audio devices where two for one. So we got them and I must say that it's well worth it. I've never used an audio device before in a museum, but now that I have I can report that it is fantastic. Extra info and background stories about the paintings are always welcome. However the greatest plus of having such a thing on your head is that whilst you hear about the painting you can actually look at it. When there is info next to it or if you have a booklet you are reading and not seeing. This tiny difference changes the whole dynamic of visiting a museum.


La Yole


I looked at La Yole and heard about the colours and unusualness of the painting and SAW it. It does help that I have a vivid imagination and I could just see the two ladies gliding over the water, laughing as the sun sparkled on the surface. Sigh. I decided to buy the postcard of this painting. But like the picture here and the postcard I got on my desk, the colours are faint compaired to the painting. When you stand in front of it, you are in awe. The colours are vibrant and the details fantastic. Then you get the postcard and it's just a vague representation. Ah well at least I saw it for real.

Details:
Exhibition: Renoir Landscapes 1865 - 1883
Museum: The National Gallery
Price: £6 on half price night
Date Visited: May 9th, 2007
Various: hired two audiodevices for £3,50 (2 for 1 deal)
Verdict: Superb

No comments: