Wednesday, 16 May 2007

Fair clothes and Portobello Road Market

It's been a very social week for me. Finally after being in the U.K. for almost a year I'm beginning to not only FEEL at home, but also BE at home in this new country. For many months I've been dealing with my affairs back in Holland. And now it’s all moving along. I still have to be carefull financially, but there is a bit more breathing space and I’ve got more time. So, I’ve been busy. As you can read below, Sarah and I went to the Renoir Landscape exhibition at the National Gallery on wednesday.

Then on Friday, my new friend Lisa and I went shopping to get me my summer clothes. I’ve bought an awefull, shamefull, lot of clothes for little money as we went to a store called Primark which is a cheap store with fashionable clothes for very little money. I went and bought and am very happy with the booty. But and yes there is a but. But I still stuggle with the idea of cheap clothes. Not because I feel I’m too good to wear them. Not at all. I struggle with the idea that I can buy a pair of jeans for £6 ($13 / € 9.50). That is not normal. I know the effort that goes into making your own clothes. The fact that it’s so cheap means several things.
1. It has been made in vast quantities. The fabrics can only be so cheap because they bought an awefull lot of it.
2. It has been made in a conveyor belt style. In a factory.
3. By someone who didn’t get a lot of pay.

Now I’m not saying this garment was made in a sweat shop by children somewhere. It might have been, but I can’t find evidence it has. I’ve looked up information about Primark and they seem to make a lot of their stuff in Spain. Some of the items I’ve bought even mentioned this. And there is also no garantee that if you spend £60 ($130 / €95,00) for a pair of jeans, that it’s been made in a better or fair way. Anyhow I didn’t have the choice this time due to financial circumstances. But in the future I hope to find the budget to buy fair trade clothes. And I also hope they will become more available.


Fabric brooches and very cool door nobs or are they for wardrobes? I like them anyway..


After this shrink-sofa-moment. It’s time to discuss one of life’s greatest pleasures: markets. Sarah and I went to Portobello Road Market on Saturday. This is one of London’s most famoust markets. It’s consists of three parts: an antique section, a fruit and veg (food) section and a clothes section. We met up near Notting Hill Gate tube station and set out. The antiques section was very cool. We saw countless items we really wouldn’t mind buying at all... if it wasn’t for out budget and cramped living spaces. I really liked the old victorian prints that where for sale. Especially the botanic ones. I would love some of those. Sarah saw some her dad might like with old motorcycles. This obviously where prints from the early 20th century. I bought a brooch with a cat on it. It’s from Fish a sixties designer the lady told me. The cat called to me and I handed over the £5 she asked with no trouble. Great buy. Sarah bought a pair of very nice silver and mother of pearl earrings.


Cat's where everywhere as where these cute little pouches



On we went and a lot of stalls and some time later we had bought a few more nice things. Best of which was a fab skirt that Sarah bought for £15. It’s green, white and yellow and very very very nice. She found matching earrings and a bracelet. Great day so far. Then we went to a haberdashery. It was a little corner shop filled to the ceiling with ribbons, tassles, and other bits and bobs. It was like a treasure trove! Luxurious trims everywhere. How I did it I have no idea. But whilst waiting to pay for ribbons I spotted a roll of Laura Ashley fabric in the corner. It was wrapped in plasic and labeled ‘reject’. It was half price so I payed £15 ($32 / €24) per meter. I got two meters and am still fondling the fabric. I’ve got it on ‘display’ at home. Ofcouse I will post whatever I will make of it. I’ve got some idea’s but these are depended on other factors. More later...


Cakes at Bossa Nova! Yum Yum!

After this gorgeous find we sat down at a cute little tearoom, Cafe Bossanova. If you go to Portobello Road market and walk it through to the last, continue a little bit futher and plunk down in this super cute little eatery. Sarah and I had a cup of tea outside untill it started to rain so hard they asked us to come in and shelter inside. Such care for customers aaaahhh.


Kimono style clothes very hot in London this year. Me like!!

No comments: