Monday, 3 November 2008

Wear your poppies with pride!!

When I came to the UK in 2006 I didn't know why at the end of October people started wearing poppies on their coats. As The Netherlands never got involved in the Great War (we remained neutral and escaped the fighting) we never suffered like other countries during WWI. The poppies represent the fields in which so many young men lost their lives. These simple flowers was all that covered their graves. Fallen lives remembered each year when millions buy a poppy and wear it on their coat. Now the poppy stands for remembrance of the fallen and support of the men still in out there serving the country.

The poppy strikes a cord with me. In the Netherlands we have something similar: remembrance day. And I always feel quite emotional about the fallen. The day after on the 5th of May we celebrate Liberation day. The day our country was free again after the German occupation during WWII. And funny enought it's that word that has less meaning here in the UK: LIBERATION! The British Isles have not been occupied by an external force for such a long time, that it's hard to explain what liberation day feels like. To feel that men from countries like the UK, the USA, Canada and many other corners of the world came and fought for my countries liberation brings me to tears. That I grew up in a prosperous country where I as a woman have rights and I can speak my mind, have a career and/or a family if I wish it. To live a life in peace with loved ones is all because of the sacrifice of these brave men (and women that supported them back home) over 60 years ago. The word gratitude doesn't even begin to describe it.


Liberation of Stiphout, The Netherlands by the 11th British Amour devision on September 22nd 1944


So when I wear my poppy, I wear it for them. For those who fought for my countries liberation and I think of all the others that have fallen on battlefields for freedom. I also think of all the men out in the troubled regions of the world trying to bring balance and peace.



As a knitter I want to mention a very special poppy on the Knit on the Net website: one you can make yourself. When you donate £2 (about $4) to The Poppy Appeal you get to download it for free. But you have to be quick. The pattern is available until midnight on Tuesday, 11th November, 2008.


About The Poppy Appeal

(from their website)
Poppy Man has launched the 2008 Poppy Appeal among friends in Basra. This year's theme "Serving those who Serve" emphasises the need to help men and women who are serving today, as well as ex-Services and dependants.

The British public holds great affection and respect for its Armed Forces. The Poppy Appeal is your opportunity to show your support, so please give generously and wear your poppy with pride.


So please knit your poppy and wear it with pride!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love poppies. I love the idea and your project with knitted poppies. Only that... I'm a notorious nitpicker. How to put it... May the poppy for the next year's anniversary have well developed all four petals!