On the English version of iTunes (I don't know if other county versions have the same) you can get Emma with Beckinsale and Nothanger Abbey with Felicity Jones for a mere £ 1.98!!!!
To find these by going to the iTunes Store. Click on 'TV Programmes', you can find this in the top left menu. A new menu appears below the one you just clicked with 'Studio/Channels'. Find 'ITV' in the list and click it. A new page loads with all that ITV offers including the two Jane Austen Films. Hooray!!!
To be clear. After you bought the films you can only download them once. So download them to your home computer (not work as I almost did). After they are downloaded you can watch them on screen and/or place them on your iPod. Watch them as often as you like! I've watched Nothanger Abbey on my screen and the image was pretty much what I expected for a tv movie: not great, but by no means bad. I thought it well worth the money and now I've seen how good the movie is I'll be looking out for the DVD as well as I wouldn't mind having one version on my iPod for when I travel and one for watching lazily from the sofa.

There was the horrible version of Mansfield Park with Billie Piper who really didn't pull off the role at all. I'm a very great fan of Jane Austen Adaptations off all kind and not very critical at all. If it remotely resembles the story and people wear pretty froks I'm half on my way of being pleased. But with this Mansfield Park I didn't get much futher than half way as indeed the best thing I can say about this tv movie is just that: it remotely follows the story line of Jane Austen and there are girls in pretty dresses. Although to be fair it seems hard to make into a good movie from the story. The 1999 version of Mansfield Park is alright, but by no means great. And although I liked actress Frances O'Conner, she was rather too old!

And older adaptation they showed again was Emma with Kate Beckinsale. This adaptation I liked, but for some reason I had trouble liking this Emma. When Gwyneth Paltrow plays her, Emma has a certain sweetness over her that I also see in the book. Kate somehow doesn't have that, which makes me feel that her Emma is a little bit more stuck up and less remorsefull of her own actions. Nevertheless I bought the DVD and it's part of my collection and long over due a view.

The last film I saw last year was the new adaptation of Persuasion. I always loved the book and the film version of Persuasion (1995) with Amanda Root. The story is very mature and the new adaptation had a very fresh feel without sacrificing the familiar story too much. Ofcourse a tv film has only a certain amount of minutes to tell the story so it has been cut, but all in all I really loved this version and it's on my 'to buy list'. Actress Sally Hawkins did a good job!

The only film I missed out on last year was Nothanger Abbey. I felt really sad as I would have like to see a different version that the horrible 1986 Northanger Abbey in my collection. So when I spotted it at iTunes for a very good price I grabbed my chance. And what a relief... it's great. It has that fresh feel to it. The actress playing Cathrine, Felicity Jones, is great she has that fresh faced young girl feel to it, with an overactive sensual imagination which young girl so often have. I loved it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment